Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week 3 Reading Diary B: Ramayana

Since I missed all of last week, I am just now beginning the book. My organizational skills will be much better in the weeks to come.


This begins by Rama needing to save his brother and essentially asking others for advise on the matter. What really stood out to me was, what were Rama and Vibishana thinking during this time? It is interesting to me the way wisdom plays through this story. There is an expression I like to use: We have two ears and one mouth, which means we should listen twice as much and twice as hard. When you are one to listen more than you speak your words become more important. This is definitely the case with Hanuman.

The battle with Ravana was very interesting, yet familiar. I thought it was really fascinating that they faked their deaths. Trickery at its finest.

When I think of these stories, I imagine them being read to young children. Since it is one of India's epic tales, I would imagine that it would have been read to children hundreds of years ago. A story of a hero who over comes odds, has a great adventure, and a battle is one of great imagination.

Siege of Lanka (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment