Monday, April 6, 2015

Week 12 Reading Diary A: Jatakas Tales (Babbitt)

Jataka Tales (Babbitt)


How the Turtle Saved His Own Life was an interesting story. It was about 2 princes who had a pond. The pond was filled and a turtle was in it. The boys thought the turtle was a demon so they asked their father, the King, if he would get rid of it. Ultimately it was decided that the turtle be thrown into a rough river, which was ok for the turtle because that was where he was originally from and his element. I could see this being a storytelling.

The OX Who Won the Forfeit  was a good story about moral character, second chances, and kindness. I very much liked this one and I could definitely see it being a good story to tell children.

The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking is a story I have heard many times before. I am pretty sure I have actually read at least four different versions of this story. It got me thinking, what would have happened if the turtle could stop talking?

The Foolish, Timid Rabbit reminded me a lot of the story of Chicken Little, aka "the sky is falling."

The Banyan Deer was a fantastic story! Probably one of my favorites. It reminded me of this story I had once heard about a similar situation during the Holocaust.

The Princes and the Water-Sprite reminded me a great deal of The Mahabharata! I am also beginning to see a similar theme of the moon, sun, and stars in Indian fables. Could be a good storytelling, maybe from the middle or eldest brothers perspective.




Jataka Tales (Source) 


No comments:

Post a Comment