Monday, April 20, 2015

Week 14 Storytelling: From the Mouths of Tiger, Monkey, & Snake

Story of the Tiger:

Here I was just walking along the tall grass hunting for some dinner when suddenly I fell in a well. I tried with all of my might to get out, but I could not. There was nothing for my claws to grab onto and I was very deep below the ground. As I lay there resting, I felt a rather large plop on my back. I looked up and there was a monkey. I guess he had not seen the well and fallen in too.

I watched him as he tried to climb out, jumping and flipping about, until he finally exhausted himself. So we sat there at the bottom of the well and talk of our homes and told each other stories. He was just telling me something about a fruit or whatever, when something whacked him across the head. It was a snake. “Great!” I thought to myself. “Now there are three of us trapped in this stupid thing!!!”

The snake was very nice. He did not take up much room. The man who fell in after him did! He was not pleasant! The monkey, snake, and I huddled together to get away from the vicious monster…the goldsmith.

Thank god for that Brahman  saved me! Isuch a delight; he even came over to my cave later that day. It was just so kind of him to save me. If he had not randomly come across the well and pulled us out, I am sure we would have died. I decided to give him some gold jewelry and ornaments as my way of saying thank you, other than not eating him of course.

Bengal Tiger (Source)

Story of the Monkey:

I am not too fond of wells anymore. I fell into one the other day as I was swinging in the trees. I honestly thought that branch would be much stronger than it looked. Oh well. I made some pretty good friends out of it. Like that Brahman who saved me! He was a pretty swell guy, a little worn down though. It’s okay, because I helped him out. I brought him back to my home with me and fed him lots and lots of fruit! He was much more pleasant after that. I’m pretty sure he was hangry… get it? Hungry and angry…HANGRY!!!

Anyway, I hope that everything is okay with him. I invited him to come back and eat more fruit with me sometime, but I have not seen him since I took him to the tiger’s place. That tiger is a swell guy, you know? Let me sleep on top of him when that evil goldsmith fell into the well with us. That guy was CREEPY!
Indian Monkey (Source)

Story of the Snake:

Never again will I ever go hunting after frogs! Damn those things can jump!!! There I was lunging after this delicious-looking frog when all of the sudden I was falling into a deep, wet hole! What the hell!!! Then I begin to basically drown in this foot of water when a furry thing picked me up and put me on another furry thing. Once I finally got the water out of my mouth and eyes, I was able to see a monkey and a tiger just staring at me. It was a pretty uncomfortable situation to say the least.

I was stuck down there for what felt like an eternity, and those two would not shut up. No, don’t mind me, I’m just trying to sleep! They finally stopped talking when that man fell in the hole. Not really sure how they felt, but I did not get good vibes from that guy. I swear at one point I saw a blazing fire twinkling in his eyes.

That Brahman that pulled me out was a swell guy! He ended up getting into a bit of trouble, though.
Apparently the tiger (moron) gave the Brahman jewelry or something, and the Brahman brought the jewelry to the goldsmith. Well, the jewelry belonged to the Prince, and when the goldsmith saw it he went and told the King and Queen that the Brahman stole the jewelry. Obviously the royals were not happy with this and had the Brahman fettered. I had told him not to trust that evil man in the well, but does anyone listen to me? NO!!! So then I was forced to bite the Queen so I could save his sorry ass from the trouble he got himself into.


I do not enjoy biting people, but I promised the Brahman that I would help him out. My plan worked too. I bite the Queen so no antidote can save her except for the touch of the Brahman, Brahman tells them he can help, Brahman touches Queen, Queen is healed, Brahman is a hero, and I slither away scot-free. Thank god it worked! I am truly exhausted.

Naja Naja (Source
Author's Note. These three stories are based off The Ungrateful Man. In the original story a Brahman is kicked out of his house by his wife and told to go find food for his starving family. During his long journey, he begins to search for water and stumbles upon a well that his hidden in overgrown grass. In the well are a tiger, a monkey, a snake, and a man. The animals ask him to set them free and, after some debating, the Brahman does so. The animals let him know that they are indebted to him and they also warn him not to let the man out because the man is evil, then they go on their way. The Brahman becomes filled with guilt and lets the man out, discovering that he is a goldsmith. The Brahman visits the monkey, who gives him food, and then the tiger, who gives him a necklace and other gold. Then the Brahman visits the goldsmith so that the goldsmith may sell the fine objects he just acquired from the tiger. The goldsmith recognizes the necklace and tells the King about it since the necklace belonged to the Prince. The Brahman is then seized and going to be killed. He then asks for the snake's help. The snake decides to bite the Queen so only the Brahman’s touch can save her. The Brahman tells the King everything that happened and the Brahman is rewarded and made a hero, while the goldsmith is punished.

 I chose to write it from the three animal's perspectives because they were all included in the story, but not necessarily present the entire way through. It also allowed me to give more personality to the story through the three different personalities, as well as a back-story.

Bibliography. The Panchatantra of Vishnu Shama, translated by Arthur W. Ryder (1925).



1 comment:

  1. I read this original story, so I was happy to see that you did a post about it! This was a funny kind of narrative. Very casual and simple. Almost like we were all just sitting at the bar telling each other anecdotes. The snake's story was my favorite, I think. Kind of no-nonsense type of snake that ended up having to put out all the fires the others made! Haha. I liked that you wrote from the animals' point of view because when I read the story, I was very suspicious that one of them was going to forsake the Brahman. It seems like in a lot of the story we read, the animals always trick the human into saving them and then end up eating him! Your version definitely doesn't give me that vibe. I enjoyed reading this!

    "So we sat there at the bottom of the well and talk of our homes..." - should be "talked"

    "Thank god for that Brahman saved me! Isuch a delight;" - I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but I think some words are missing!

    "Let me sleep on top of him..." - probably should make this "he let me..."

    ReplyDelete