Thursday, February 5, 2015

Week 3 Storytelling: Halloween Mystery

It was Halloween and Richard was having a Halloween party at his house. He had bought decorations, chips, candy, soda pop, and had invited all of his friends. Since it was Halloween, everyone was required to wear a costume. Richard decided to be an aviator. He put on his leather pilot’s jacket and aviator sunglasses and headed downstairs to finish putting up the decorations before his guests arrived.

On the walls of the kitchen were fake spiders and some cobwebs. The kitchen table had a tablecloth with little ghosts on it, and there was a goofy-looking skeleton hanging from the front door. He had everything he needed for the party.

It was ten o’clock and his friends began to arrive. "Ding-dong" went the doorbell as the first guests arrived. It was his best friends Sam, Jason, Ned, and Harry. They were all dressed in super cool costumes. Sam was a pirate, Jason was a fireman, Ned was a caveman, and Harry was a soldier. Their cheers of excitement roared throughout the house as they ran into the living room and kitchen. Soon other guests began arriving and the party really started to be a hit.

Guys and girls were dancing to Monster Mash in the living room while others were conversing and drinking in the kitchen. All in all, everyone seemed to be having a really great time. Richard was very happy that everyone was enjoying themselves.

Richard was in the middle of a drinking game with his buddies when all of a sudden the doorbell rang. He walked over to the door, opened it, and there, standing in front of him, was the most elaborate zombie costume he had ever seen.

“Hey,” said the zombie. “It’s me, Vince.”

Shocked, Richard had no idea what to say.

Richard was one of those guys who got along with everyone. All of the girls liked him, parents loved him, and the guys enjoyed his company as well. The only person Richard did not get along with was Ray; you could say Ray and Richard were mortal enemies. Ray tormented Richard. He would go out of his way to make Richard's life miserable, whether it was stealing Richard's girl friend, spreading rumors about him, ruining Richard's parties, or trying to take Richard's job.

Well Ray had a brother and that brother was Vince. So Richard was very confused as to why the brother of his enemy was standing at his door step.

“What are you doing here?” Richard asked.

Solemnly Vince replied, “I can't be around Ray anymore, he's gone crazy. Please let me in.”

Wondering why their friend had not rejoined them, Sam, Jason, Ned, and Harry appeared at the door to see what the commotion was all about.

“What’s going on?” Jason asked.

“It’s Vince,” Richard said. “He wants me to let him into the party. What do you guys think?”

“Dude! Don’t let him in!” Sam began. “He’s a traitor and will always be a traitor!”

“Yeah!” Jason exclaimed, chiming in. “How will be able to trust him? We all know he is just going to tell Ray where our party is and ruin it!” 

Richard patiently listened to each of his friends as they spoke their minds.

“This does not fly with me,” Ned stated. “How can we trust him when he is Ray's little brother?”

Richard looked at his best friend Harry and said, “You have not said anything. What do you think?”

With a deep breath Harry said, “I hesitate to say anything because I disagree with everyone else. Vince is not evil-minded, he just made a mistake. We all make mistakes in this world, but is it worth hurting someone over? I say let him in and we can have some fun!”

After listening to what Harry said, Richard knew what he had to do.

“I agree with Harry,” Richard declared. “After all, Vince did come here knowing he was betraying Ray, which took a lot of guts. No matter what happens later, he still deserves a second chance. And even if something bad happens, I will sleep well at night knowing that I did the right thing.”


With smiles upon their faces, Richard and the guys welcomed Vince into the party. Everything was right again, and they partied the rest of the night.


Happy Halloween (Source)


Author's Note. 

This is based off of the “Across The Ocean” in the book The Ramayana. The Halloween party was used as a way to pull focus on the situation between Vibushana and Rama. In the story the men are at an army camp, so making the story at a Halloween party allowed for the confrontation to still be on Rama turf while also making Rama’s virtuous decision the main point of the story. Halloween is generally a time where goals and goblins come out to scare people and integrity and virtue essentially go out the window, much like in war. Having those personal traits during a time when they are usually absent draws ones attention to their importance and rarity. I also felt as though Halloween would just be fun and silly. 

In the story Rama is unsure of what to do, so he seeks the opinions of his advisors. Three advisors tell Rama to send Vibishana away, but Hanuman believes that they should protect and accept Vivishana because he can tell that Vivishana has a good heart, pure soul, and should not be punished. After hearing this, Rama is pleased and decides to accept his enemy’s brother, exclaiming that it is the right thing to do.

In my story, I chose to change the character’s names, with the first letter of the character’s name from the original story being the same for the character’s name in the retelling. Instead of Rama, he is Richard, and instead of Vibishana, he is Vince, and Ravana, who is Rama’s enemy, is Ray. The quote, "knowing I did the right thing," is right out of the book. It is actually what led me to choose this story in the first place. Rama’s integrity is a lesson that can be learned by all.

Bibliography. Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana.

15 comments:

  1. I think this is a fantastic adaptation to the "Across the Ocean" chapter in The Ramayana. I loved that you made it more modern, by talking about things that college students can more easily relate to. I think you did a great job at setting up the scene, establishing the characters, and moving through the plot. The writing was clear and concise, and it kept me interested. I also liked how you broke up the paragraphs to make it easier to read and get through. The inclusion of dialogue also helped to make the characters feel more real and developed. So overall, I thought this was a very creative way to tell the story! Good job Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your story Jessica. I love how you really kept the story, but at the same time, you change the whole scene. You did an awesome job by using quotes and different character names which was relevant to the actual story. It was easy for me to read and understand the story compared to other stories. You did an amazing job relating Rama's story to Richard. You made me understand the moral of the story better than the actual book. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your interpretation of this story! It put a modern twist to it. I don't really like Halloween, but I'm sure we can all relate to making a mistake and having all of our friends mad at you. Probably not as extreme though. Showing true loyalty is difficult but always rewarding. I, also, like the dialogue you included in your story. It gave a good view of the entire scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I really enjoyed this story. It was such a good idea to put a modern twist on “Across the Ocean”. Specifically, I liked that you picked a party scene. It was very relatable. I sometimes have trouble getting through the stories because I find that they can become confusing. But, since you added more recognizable names, as well as a more recognizable setting, I did not have that problem! Whenever I am writing my stories, I find that my biggest problem is punctuation. Either I throw in too many commas, or I don’t use enough. That is something that we all have to watch out for! Especially since most of us don’t write stories with dialogue very often. Lastly, I would like to add that you have a very clear writing style. I enjoy stories that are short and to the point, and you did just that! This modern version of an old story was really awesome! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story is so creative! It is so different and modern from the original story in the Ramayana but it still holds the same format, and storyline. “Across the Ocean” really showed how the majority opinion is not always the best decision. The modern twist made it so much easier to read and relate to. I really appreciate that you used spacing between each paragraph. The separation lets us, as readers know that we are moving on to a new idea and it is much easier on the eye. The biggest issue I see, and what I struggle with the most is punctuation, especially within dialogue. It is not something anyone uses very often. Story writing is such an underused skill, and dialogue is no easy task to include. I would just be aware of that and be sure to look up, and refresh yourself on a few of those punctuation rules. Other than that I truly enjoyed this creative story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess,

    I really enjoyed your story and how you changed up the setting to something completely different, yet relatable. I want to know how you came up with that! Where did your thought process lead you to change the setting into that of a Halloween party? I think that is super creative! The only thing I felt was really lacking in the story was description. I think, with the amount of creativity that you have, you could come up with some better description for the costumes, decorations, and such. I can picture a Halloween party, but I can't picture this specific halloween party. However, your modern twist to the story was extremely relatable, and I think you will have a lot of happy readers from this class who need a break from the monotony of the Ramayana. I know that I did! Best of luck on the rest of the semester, and I look forward to reading more of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess,
    This was good! I liked that I did not know what the adaptation was until I was pretty far through the story. I rarely see modern adaptations of this part of the story on here and that was nice as well. I would have liked a few more details that maybe would have led back to the original story, but I still liked it quite a bit. I also liked that the names somewhat corresponded to the original characters. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica! I really enjoyed the first story in your portfolio, “Halloween Mystery.” The details were very vivid, especially in the beginning of the story where you describe the decorations and costumes. I could definitely see the similarities between your story and the episode of Vibishana and Rama in the Ramayana. I found it interesting that you put the story in a modern setting, and it worked well to convey the message in the Ramayana regardless of the time period. I also like how you adjusted the names, but kept the personalities and roles from the text. The lesson about doing the right thing is definitely expressed well in your story.

    There were very few mistakes it your story. I only noticed a minor issue with the line “Ray and Richard were mortal enemy’s,” when it should be “enemies.” Overall, I found this to be a very enjoyable read, and I look forward to reading more from your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessica!
    I decided to choose the “Halloween Mystery” to read because the title was catchy, so great way to start off! I immediately went to the Author’s note to see what the story was going to be about and I was instantly captivated. Any story with Rama is awesome because he is such a great character with strong morals. The way that you renamed your characters was really original, I can’t believe I’ve never thought of doing that so thanks for the great example! The way that you told your story in a different scenario like a halloween party was really creative also. I like that you made it a party so that when he came to the door everyone was hesitant to let him in or not. I would definitely say that this was my favorite portfolio story I’ve read yet! You did a really great job setting the scene for what a halloween party would actually be like also. Overall, awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jessica,
    I think that this story is so creative. I really like how you made your story during a Halloween party. Halloween is during a time when scary things come out like ghouls and goblins come out and think that putting that aspect in your story really made it come to life. I think that the best stories are the stories that have some kind of mystery, or they are kind of scary so I really enjoyed this story. You also gave this Halloween story a modern twist which also made it really enjoyable as well. I had also never thought of renaming my characters I have always struck to their names so I thought that was very creative and something that I might consider doing because it really made your story unique and it really made your story your own. Overall, I really enjoyed this story and I can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the first look I took at your story, everything looked great. The picture is cute, goes with the story, and the link works well. Also, the theme was not distracting, and helped the story flow.

    I loved your story, and how you took a modern situation and modern people to tell the story of Rama and his choice of whether or not to let Vibishana join his side. Your author’s note is also great, and does a good job of explaining your goals. Also, your imagery is very good throughout the story!

    In the paragraph explaining how Richard felt about Ray, you use “girl friend” but it is only one word “girlfriend”.

    Also, in one sentence you say, “How will be able to trust him” so you’re missing a word there. Also, in that same part, I feel like having two speaking verbs makes it a little redundant.

    Also, you have a weird space between the last two paragraphs, so I would go in and delete one of the lines to make it smoother.

    Other than that, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jessica,

    Halloween is one of my most favorite holidays. With that being said, I was very excited to see what this story had in store. Wow, I didn't even realize that you used the Ramayana as your inspiration for this tale. I got the moral of the story, but was taken aback when I got to your Author's Note. I'm so glad we are required to have them. Your story is simply written, but has so much meaning and morality behind it! The spacing of your lines and paragraphs are evenly distributed and easy to read. The flow is great. The only thing that I noticed, that some others have notices, is that you used "girl friend" instead of "girlfriend." Otherwise, great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jess,

    You have done a fantastic job, once again! I have enjoyed reading all of the stories in your portfolio. While reading this story, I kept trying to think of what your story could have been inspired by. I honestly thought that it would be based off of another fable and had no idea that you had based it off of a story in The Ramayana. I think you are an incredible author to be able to take the idea or moral of one story and then create your own version of that story without really using any if the same components.

    Your paragraph spacing looks great and I did not see any major grammatical errors. There are a few places where Vibhishana is spelled differently and it was probably just autocorrect or something that changed the spelling. That happens quite a bit on both my phone and computer when typing unusual character names.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello!
    I really love how creative this story is and how you took such an old story and really modernized it! Your writing was good and very relatable.
    Below are a few minor corrections for you to consider:
    “He would go out of his way to make Richard's life miserable, whether it was stealing Richard's girl friend, spreading rumors about him, ruining Richard's parties, or trying to take Richard's job.” In this sentence, you should remove the space between “girl” and “friend”, as in this context it is once word. Unless you simply meant a friend who is a girl, then it would be correct to have two separate words instead of one.
    “I can't be around Ray anymore, he's gone crazy.” These are two complete sentences, not one. You can either separate them completely by replacing the comma with a period and capitalizing “he’s” or you can simply replace the comma with a semi-colon.
    “Vince is not evil-minded, he just made a mistake.” The same issue is here. I recommend a semi-colon, but a period and capitalization would also work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jessica, this is an awesome story! When I started reading it, I kept wondering how it tied back to something from the Ramayana. When I finally realized it was a re-interpretation of the part about Vibishana, I was so amazed. It was incredibly skillful the way you paralleled the story with a Halloween party version. That's so creative, and it was super fun to read. I like how you were still able to put a lot of emphasis on Rama's (Richard's) decision to accept Vibishana (Vince), as well as the lesson that comes out of that.

    Aside from the excellent parallel, the story is also very well written. It is engaging and fun, and there is a lot of great detail. It flows well, and you did a good job developing your characters. This is one of my favorite stories I have read all semester. It is for sure a great start to your portfolio. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete